Monday, May 15, 2006

Technology without a human touch!

Now, technology isn’t a bad thing, you see. It has helped man;to fly around the world in an armchair, check if water exists outside the earth despite three fourth of the world is submerged by it,
gather information with few mouse clicks,  also create a mouse that can be clicked!

If information is wealth, the last few hours I had spent with wikipedia has almost made me a millionaire. From wiki I've discovered where Bangalore is situated - on the Precambrian Deccan Plateau!
Wiki was generous enough to allow me to check if I’m really staying
in Bangalore (it said, it doesn’t know; which I don’t feel is a bad answer either!).
It also told me what emails are used for -to send and receive messages over an electronic network!. Again, not bad at all!
Boy! learning stuff during office hours was never so easy!

My learning spree came to a rather abrupt end as I noticed that Mr. "X" had invaded my cube. Alright, my cube isn’t any special. Its just another cube, if anything, its little inferior compared to other's. While most of the other cubes boast of white boards with complex system architectures, awe inspiring database structures,
milestone lists, to-do tasks and few even have think positive posters, all that mine have is
a Pizza Hut phone number and doodles of flowers which will evolve to look like a flower one
day. (I am a firm believer of Darwin’s theory of evolution!)

I realized X wasn’t just standing beside. He had been reading through what was on my monitor as well.
Now to talk about X, well… I would rather let X speak for himself.
X: So you are into new email specifications eh?
Me: hmmm...!
X: Buddy, the specification u reading is three days old! There is a latest version of this.
Me: Oh! Didn’t know that... what's the change in there?
X: Well, the specification version number is italicized in the new one!
Me: Oh! Really? It would have been terrible to miss that!
X flashed i_am_the_up_to_date_dude smile, 
while I was reduced to he pleading expression of please_spare_me_will_you?.
Though, knowing X, I realized the chance of that happening was as big as finding an internet café at Bangalore’s Kalasipalaya market.

X was now frantically looking for the next best thing to bluster his knowledge.
To my scare I sensed he was on to the magazine which was lying on my table.

X: See, these days magazines have very few pages!
Me: hmmm...!
X: You know why is it so? In fact, the magazines have lost their relevance.
Me: hmmm...!
X: All the info that man would ever need is available on internet, why would one ever read a magazine
Me: [Fail to hold on to my hmm...hmm… pledge] See… the reading convenience that magazines offers may never be available with a comp.
X: Well, if you are a serious reader, you should be prepared to trade convenience for consistency.
Me: aw?!!!
X: .......................................

[few minutes and a mentally tortured me later...]

X got a call(it has to be from some one who thrive on inflicting wound on self! )

Thanking that selft wound inflicting soul, I turned back to my comp only to see wikipedia still active. No! I can’t take any more for now!
X has assaulted my knowledge reception system into abject submission.
I closed the browser. Over!

That’s when the thought occurred to me,
"what if wiki just come over uninvited and start telling me that Bangalore is on a Deccan Plateau and how the emails are transferred over an electronic network etc... ?"
I realized, thankfully, it can not! And hopefully never will!

Now, X isn’t a bad thing, you see. In fact it is X and his tribe who help one appreciate the fact that technology without a human touch isn’t really a bad thing, after all!

6 comments:

Patty said...

So they have pizza huts in India hu? What do you like on your pizza? I try not to eat pizza when training for a race, as the cheese has too much fat, but two saturday's ago I had a really yummy one with Gorganzola cheese, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

Keep Going..Ali..u rock..

Ali Thanikkal said...

Patty: Am not really a Pizza person. Juz dat we order it everytime we have a launch or something - :)
The varieties you get in India are predominantly Indianized like Chicken Tikka etc. Can some pizza expert pls step in for me ? -;)
hari Thanks buddy... hope everything is going well with u -:)

Rose said...

Haha.. :D I hope ppl like Mr X do not make to hibernate away from the human species..

:)

..Me

Prax said...

Its funny, when you don't find meanin' of anythin'...just add your any goddamn meanin' so it becomes universal.

Blogrollin' ya, I'd rather not be back from the Cafe though...

Prax said...

My first laugh of the day, and its only 9 odd... for revenge, get your Mr.X married to Wiki!